Monday, October 22, 2007

Julie Topping


I believe young people are portrayed the way adults see them: through our prisms, through our experiences, through our points of view. It's why we don't see young people doing what they really do in life, why they are such a big mystery to boomers. (For example, Brittany, our helper, just educated me about Soldier Boys, a YouTube video I didn't have a clue about.)

So, we often see teenagers in school settings, family settings, neighborhood settings (if they are helping volunteer or something else important to adults). If they are urban teens we may see them involved in drugs, crime or other undesirable activity. But we don't often see them doing what an everyday young person might do.

We also put our own language, fears and thoughts in their mouths...not really giving them a chance to speak for themselves.

6 comments:

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

I'm a boomer and i really need to learn the new teenage lingo. how can you write or "story" them if you can't figure out what they are speaking

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

On the other hand, they talk about adults in their own languages as well.

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

By the way, Brittany rocks. She's my favorite teacher.

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

It's true, they do speak their own language. Part of being able to communicate means realizing that and trying to listen to them. I think since we are in control, sometimes we talk too much and don't listen enough.

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

Julie..I love the cool image you pulled down. Looks sinister! and that is how teens are sometimes seen

McCormick Fellows 2007 said...

All I had to punch in was teenagers involved in crime. I don't know where it came from, though.